The gorilla glue is no good for this project. The muscles detached very easily. So I tried again with the expensive adhesive that I had previously had failures with, and this time I was able to get it to work. It’s tricky and messy, but after 2 hours this morning I was able to get one side of shoulder, arm, and chest muscles attached. Now I am almost convinced that I cannot mass produce these on my own – then end product is not professional and clean enough. Therefore I will finish the mannequin as a prototype – proof of concept – and then I think I will seek out help.

If I’m feeling motivated later today I will work on the other side and attach more muscles. Right now though I need a break. I’ve been sick for the last 6 days, had to spend Christmas in bed. And the last two days I’ve had to go to the chiropractor because of very bad pain in my hip. Luckily he figured out my pelvis was crooked and got the pain to go away almost immediately.

I did buy myself some goodies online for Christmas while I was bed-ridden: some new paint brushes, paints, panels, and a new outdoor travel easel. I’ve always been weak at landscapes in my artwork so I want to go get some fresh air sometime and paint out in the desert.

I’ve also been watching some marketing videos for artists in the hopes I can figure out how to make a living as an artist.

By Cody Deegan

Cody Deegan is a life-long artist versed in drawing, painting, sculpting, and design. He studied filmmaking and character animation at the California Institute of the Arts in Los Angeles as well as figurative oil painting at the Gage Academy of Art in Seattle.

Leave a Reply