I’m all set to start making the actual resin parts now. The pressure chamber and air compressor arrived, and the tiny air compressor is so cute! I had to get a few parts for the chamber because it had a crank agitator that needed to be removed, so I got a big fat flange bolt and some rubber washers to seal up the opening. I also got an air hose and some quick connects.

Last night I poured the second silicone barriers for the molds. This morning I struggled to get the molds separated. The mold release spray that I used is supposedly made especially for keeping silicone from sticking to itself, but I was borderline panicked trying to get them pulled apart. I did eventually get everything separated, but my fear now is that the molds have been compromised with all the tearing and stretching that went on during the process. I plan to pour some resin into them today. This will be the final test. If they turn out like poo, then I have to start all over with rebuilding the bones in clay, rebuilding the molds, egads…

By Cody Deegan

Cody Deegan is a life-long artist versed in drawing, painting, sculpting, and design. He studied filmmaking and character animation at the California Institute of the Arts in Los Angeles as well as figurative oil painting at the Gage Academy of Art in Seattle.

Leave a Reply