I have the rib cage about done, and I got the pelvis and a scapula in near-finished states. The first set of magnets will arrive tomorrow from China. I’m hoping they will be stronger than the other ones I bought. I went ahead and contacted China again to order two other types that are even stronger than the first. I can’t finalize my sculptures until I know which magnets I’m going to use. The strongest ones look to be quite large so I would have to modify the clay if I end up using them, especially on the scapulas. The upper arm bone (humerus) will attach directly to the scapula, and if the magnet base is large, it could interfere with the movement of the scapula across the ribcage. Maybe it can fit in the top of the humerus, I guess I will figure that out when I have them in hand. The magnets coming tomorrow can supposedly support 11 pounds of weight so there’s a good chance they will suffice, but leverage will play a factor since the magnet must support an entire arm and leg setup with muscles. I feel confidant that one of these magnet setups will work. The price is too good to believe. I’m getting the largest magnet for $8 each, and online in the U.S. they go for $44 each. Amy Xie is my new friend in China.
The casting supplies should arrive tomorrow as well, but of course I can’t cast anything until I know which magnet I’ll be using. This is a really fun project so far. The skeletal parts I’m sculpting aren’t perfect, but I’m hoping they’re close enough to create a realistic posable art mannequin. The true test will come when I’ve actually made a few muscles out of silicone and attached them. That’s the key to the success of this project.