I had a day off today and I promised myself I would paint. So after I dropped my son off at school I came home and set to task. I got my paints laid out, mixed up some flesh tones in varying values and temperatures, put some linseed oil in a cup, and I started painting Mary’s face.
I stayed focused for all 3 hours, carefully crawling across each form and deciding the values and hues to use. I felt pretty good about the face and chest after I stepped back and looked it over, but soon I noticed some things I didn’t like. After getting my kid from school, I mixed my flesh tones again and went back over the areas I wasn’t happy with. Then I painted her left arm and her tummy. That took about 2 hours and I decided I was done for now. Her legs and right arm are next, then the hair. But I’m not sure I want to paint any more tonight.
Here’s a comparison of the dead coloring stage and today’s first render – pretty drastic I think.
Oh I forgot to mention that I got my hoist project completed. I can now easily remove and store my Jeep hardtop whenever I want.