Waiting for my first parts to arrive in the mail feels like when I was a kid waiting for Christmas the week before. It feels like it’s taking forever! I have been trying to keep myself busy in the meantime by figuring out a method for getting the muscles built. First I uploaded four individual upper arm muscles to the 3D printing site to get a quote, and they were averaging around $85 each. That is just too expensive, especially when in the end I could have 50 or more muscle group parts.
I next decided to build a two-part mold of the muscle parts in my 3D software. I put the four muscles into one mold and then uploaded the two halves to the 3D printing site to get a quote. It was $200. Hmmm…..so that comes out to roughly $50 per muscle group. And if the mold works then I can make my own muscle parts whenever I want for next to nothing. This seemed like a better way to go. I went ahead and ordered the mold parts to be made. When they arrive I will use my leftover silicone to pour into the mold and then see if I can attach the muscles to my new skeleton.