All the parts came out pretty good. I assembled them into an arm and a leg and began posing them. The hinge joints (elbow and knee) were too loose and wouldn’t hold a pose. I contemplated some solutions for that problem and will experiment with them soon. The main problem I found though was when the arm or the leg was held out horizontal completely extended, the magnet ball joint would not hold the limb up. I decided to use bigger magnets in the pelvis for the leg. Rather than building an entirely new pelvis, I widened the magnet sockets with a dremel tool. I’ll have to make a new mold for the pelvis and the femur (upper leg bone). The foot needs a deeper socket for the ankle magnet so I will probably make a new mold for it as well.
I’m not sure what to do about the arm. The bigger magnets won’t fit in the scapula unless I remove a huge section of the rib cage. The muscles may provide enough tension to keep the arm from sagging when extended, but I was really hoping for a skeleton whose joints would be strong enough on their own. More thought will be needed.
The new silicone will arrive tomorrow evening and I will get back to making molds. I thought about taking a break for awhile but then I remembered that the resin has a short shelf life and needs to be used up probably within the next couple weeks. So I will keep the momentum going on getting these molds finished.