I finished sculpting the left arm and leg and was itching to start the new two-part molds. I picked up some more supplies this morning like a hot glue gun, some screws to create threads in the parts, and some clay and foam core to build new mold walls. Looking over my new parts, they looked a bit lumpy from all the clay being mashed around by my fingers while shaping them, but I was ready to bake them anyway. I didn’t think I was going to get them much better. I’m not a master sculptor by any means.
After letting them cool from being in the oven, all the parts were nice and firm. Just to see if it would make a difference, I started sanding one of the parts. Within a few minutes, most of the lumpiness was gone and the part looked really good. I felt like maybe I was a decent sculptor after all. Sanding made a world of difference.
I got all the parts sanded and cleaned up and retrieved my large matte board cutter. I measured out and cut some foam core pieces so I could construct a box for pouring in the first mold. I have since learned a handy-dandy math formula for calculating how much silicone will be needed based on the size of the box. I ran my calculations and immediately realized I didn’t have enough silicone on hand, so I won’t be pouring any molds for awhile. I almost ordered a gallon of the stuff, but it’s almost $200. I thought I’d better sleep on it and do some more calculations, because I want to make sure a gallon will be enough to make all the parts of the skeleton.