Most of the supplies showed up yesterday afternoon. The vacuum chamber looks pretty awesome, I’m glad I didn’t try to make it myself. The ball joints from China are indeed much stronger than the other magnets I purchased. I decided that the stronger joints that will be arriving next week will work for the hip and arm joints. I only bought a small amount of silicone and resin, just to try out and make sure it’s the kind I want to use. But a part of me wishes I had got the bigger sizes because I am ready to start making this mannequin.
So tonight I plan to work on sculpting the smaller parts like feet and hands, knee and elbow joints. I still have to sculpt the skull. Then I’ll make some molds of those parts and cast them all at once. If all goes well I’ll order a large amount of silicone and resin and cast the pelvis and rib cage. I still have to create some sort of support system that will hold the mannequin upright. I can work on that while I’m waiting for the silicone and resin to arrive (if they indeed work out well). I also have to figure out a spine design as well as fingers. So plenty of stuff to do. The entire process is still feeling really good, I think this is going to be a successful project.