I started sculpting the rib cage for the art mannequin out of super sculpey. I’m using my printouts to help me keep it to scale. I’ll create a mold from it when finished and then create the final part out of resin. I feel like resin is going to be heavy, but I don’t know what else to use at the moment. And since this is a prototype I just have to create a working model for now.
Some of the magnets arrived for the ball joints, and after playing around with them for a while I am starting to think they won’t be strong enough to hold a pose. I am hoping the Chinese joints will be stronger, but I am already giving thought to a different type of ball joint, maybe even going back to the double-ball joint idea that I originally wanted to avoid.
I ordered a vacuum chamber and some dragon skin silicone. I plan to cast all the muscles with the silicone since it can stretch without tearing and return to it’s original shape. The vacuum chamber is a device that is used to eliminate air bubbles from the silicone so that the final parts will be free of defects.