After last night’s blog post I thought to myself, “Hey – the wall should be pretty easy to fill in real quick.” So I mixed up a dark, medium, and light blue thinking it would be a nice shadow hue for the background to contrast against the skin tones. I punched it in real quick with a stiff hog’s bristle brush and headed off to bed.
Today it became glaringly obvious that the blue was way too chromatic. For those unfamiliar with art terminology, basically it means the wall is way too blue. Thankfully this is the roughing-in stage and I will be able to tone it down in the next pass. I’ve decided it needs to be darker in value overall, and more grayish with just a touch of blue. That background wall grabs all the attention away from the foreground figures.
So today I ignored the blue and worked on getting more of the background filled up, which was primarily black. Plus I worked on the reds for the cupboard doors. I think it’s looking good. Looking at the picture it’s kind of weird to see the actual real life red cupboard doors in the background (I’m painting this canvas in my shop where I staged the model shoot for the painting).
I got in a lot of hours today. I started my morning at the walk-in clinic to see if I could find out why I’ve been getting so fatigued lately. The doc set me up for some blood work in the morning, so I came home and spent the day painting.